1909

The Department of Animal Husbandry (DAH) was instituted as one of the academic departments of the UP College of Agriculture. DAH was mandated to take charge of the animal science and production concern.

The Department of Animal Husbandry came into being on June 14, 1909, when a course in Animal Husbandry was offered to a few pioneering students in Agriculture by Prof. Sam B. Durham. Since then, it has become one of the major technical dept's of the UPCA.

 

1961

On April 20, 1961, a memorandum of agreement between the University of the Philippines (UP) and the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources (DANR) was signed defining the roles of the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) and the UP college of Agriculture (UPCA)  in the establishment, maintenance and operation of Dairy Training and Research Institute (DTRI).

 

1962

On September 16, 1962, DTRI was established between the Philippine government and the United Nations Special fund (UNSF) with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations serving as the executing agency. DTRI then became fully operational on November 1, 1962. It was a semi-autonomous status under the general administrative supervision of UP. UP College of Agriculture placed at DTRI's disposal existing personnel, buildings, equipment, pastures, livestock and other auxilliary services devoted to dairy husbandry research and teaching. 

1964

In April 1964, RA 4041 was passed to give full meaning and support to the development of the local dairy industry, providing DTRI an annual approproation of Php 1 million.

1966

On June 18, 1966, RA 4718 was enacted amending RA 4041, placing DTRI under direct control of UP, ensuring that funds provided under 4041 could not be used for other purposes.

1972

On May 1, 1972 Presidential Decree (PD) 58 directed the UP Board of Regents (BOR) to establish a UP system, making UP Los Baños as an autonomous campus consisting of 6 units which included DTRI. DAH was renamed the Department of Animal Science (DAS) on the same year.

1982

On November 25, 1982, UP Board of Regents approved the organization of the Institute of Animal Science (IAS), formerly the Department of Animal Science, as per Executive Order No. 840 of President Marcos on October 16, 1982. On January 1, 1983, IAS was formally organized. It was one of the seven(7) research Institutes and Laboratories on the National Agriculture and life Science Research Complex established in UPLB.

1983

On November 25, 1983, DTRI was attached to the College of Agriculture as per approved by UP-BOR resolution.

1990

The UPLB College of Agriculture embarked on a reorganization plan with the objective of promoting and sustaining the college competitive edge as a center of excellence in higher education, research and development in agriculture and food science. Its units were grouped into 5 clusters to promote & enhance synergy of strengths, expertise and resources. One of the five cluster is the Animal and dairy Science Cluster composed of IAS and DTRI.

2004

On October 1, 2004, the Animal and Dairy Sciences Cluster (ADSC) was created as one of the five clusters of the reorganized UPLB College of Agriculture. The cluster was a merger of the Institute of Animal Science (IAS) and the Dairy Training and Research Institute (DTRI).